Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Monday and Tuesday

And so, we see how long it took before my regular daily posts would become something updated after a few days.  I hope to get back onto regular daily postings.

On Monday, (not necessarily in the order in which things happened) I helped set up one of the conference rooms for a conference.  Helped troubleshoot a couple connectivity issues in the building. Both turned out to be bad patch cables from the wall to laptops.  I spent the bulk of the day in the technology closet finally emptying some of the boxes from the move.  Though I emptied more than 6 boxes, there are still plenty to unpack.  During that time, I also set up the bookshelves in my office and began organizing software and books.  It's starting to look like an office!  I handled the SPAM and sent/replied to email.

On Tuesday, I installed the LCD TV in the computer lab.  The TVs we bought have internet connectivity, so during lunch I hooked up the TV to see just what that is all about.  The Sony Bravias have a selection of "apps" that allow the viewer to watch YouTube videos, NetFlix, and other video content (surprisingly, there is a nice selection of educational "channels").  Additionally, there are music channels and photo channels (so you could use the display as a picture frame, if one so chose).  Some Bravias have a cool Widget feature where one could customize the layout of the main screen with weather, news, etc.  Ours does not have that. Bummer.  I found some really cool VGA cables that have S-Video style connectors between the ends.  Why is this cool?  Because, I can separate the cables, run each end through conduit, then reconnect the wires, and voila! I just ran VGA through the conduit.  I can't wait to try this out.  I will be using these in order to get our digital signage up and going in the hallways of the building.  Our front office does Medicaid billing and they needed a computer set up to be dedicated for that purpose.  I set one up, but received a phone call as I got home that it had "Blue-Screened" on me.  I'll take a look at that on Wednesday.  We had a video conference on Tuesday, so I helped the presenter get set up with that while I made some needed updates/changes to the co-op web page.  During the day, I also handled daily business with schools, vendors, etc via email and/or phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment