Thursday, September 2, 2010

Meeting, Troubleshooting and Finding metal studs

The day started by getting the APSCN workshop up and going in the Mac lab.  Later in the day, I realized we had not installed Adobe Reader during the setup.  this was not a problem, but certainly a stumbling block.  Turns out the users can set their reports to Excel or HTML and see what they need to see. Nice!

At roughly 8:40a, the state techs met with Debbie Coffman regarding a survery that will help us get feedback on the perception of our jobs, duties and importance.  We will be able to use the data as a gauge for our performance and to present our worth to those who need to know (ex: budgeting, funding, etc).  The meeting went very well and lasted a short while.

At 9:00a, I went to the Early Childhood center to work on their network copier issues.  i called VANCO for help, and it turned out I had installed the wrong driver.  In my defense, there was no way to know that without knowing the ins-and-outs of Toshiba copiers, which I do not.  The tech pointed me to the correct driver and they were back in business.

At some point during the morning, I helped the DL Coordinator with an online class she is going through as part of her training.

I had some concerns about hanging the LCD TVs on our steel-frame/drywall walls, so I emailed the contractor about his suggestions.

I called DIS for help withour connectivity issues.  We are getting data throughputs around 40k/sec. That is insane. We are supposed to be running at 3Mbps minimum!  When the tech called me back, he had trouble getting into our router from Little Rock, which indicated an issue between here and there (meaning it was most likely *not* a local issue).  They were going to run some tests and get back to me. Still waiting to hear from them.

The contractor contacted me and assued me that the hallway walls were heave gauge and would easily support the TVs.  He also told me to take steel wool to locate the metal studs.  i had to look that one up.  I found a guy that said that is how he does it.  I took steel wool and cut it in half.  Since the studs are 16-inch centers, we measured from a nearby corner and started the magic.  I rubbed the two pieces together near the wall (but not touching it) and the shavings fell to the floor.  I moved back and forth along the wall and didn't see anything happening.  And then, my clerk (who was watching me with uncertain eyes) and I stepped back to see what was happening.  Sure enough, the filings STUCK to the places where the screws in the drywall were!  The metal studs were not magnetic, but the shavings took on magnetic properties as I rubbed them together!  The shavings were then attracted to the screws in the drywall!  Holy smokes, that was one of the coolest things I had ever seen!!  Now, I will have no problem finding the studs and avoiding the screws!  Plus, since the screws are in the center of the studs, I can also determine the center (16 inches apart)! Sweet!

I found a couple of wireless video broadcasters, so I hooked a receiver up to one of the new TVs (sitting in my office, waiting to be put on the wall) and to my computer.  I was able to transmit my desktop to the TV wirelessly!  I may implement that for our digital signage.  A lot of that depends on how well the signal travels up the stairs, through the floor.  I'll keep you posted.

I spent part of the day answering/getting caught up on emails and phone messages.  I also posted the Active Directory troubleshooting I did the other day.  That can be found here: http://techblog.k12.ar.us/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=103

I will spend the rest of the afternoon installing a phone on the third floor and possibly a phone in the kitchen downstairs.  It all depends on how things go.  I also need to configure several desktops for users (new machines).  Busy, busy!

I am exercising my FLEX day from the Saturday I worked a couple weeks ago and will be taking a nice, long four-day weekend!  On Tuesday, I'll have my drill and will be ready to hang TVs!

No comments:

Post a Comment