Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Getting back up to bat



It is the start of a new fiscal year for us, so I am going to try posting here more often. I discovered, I think, the reason behind the sporadic, lackluster posting on here: purpose.

When I started this blog, I did so because I needed a place to record my activities as part of the grant that funds my position. Frankly, it was a chore to write things every day. And, so I did not write every day. In fact, I got to where I loathed writing here. It was too much like work itself, and I keep busy enough with my actual job to add this to the list of things I "have" to do.

So, this year, I'm taking a different approach. I am going to use this space as a means for journaling what I learn, what I'm not learning, and where I am (or not) growing.  I'm hoping this new perspective will keep my writing about my work without feeling burdened by the process.

The past few days, I have been working with the DL Coordinator in replacing an old piece of CIV equipment. That involved pulling out the old cameras, cabling, and codec. Then, we installed the new cameras, cabling, and codec.

The toughest part of the job, though, was pulling everything out of an old Smart Sympodium we have. You see, that cabinet not only houses a PC for presentation purposes, but also houses the codec used for CIV conferences. Over the past decade or more, that cabinet has seen all kinds of equipment come and go. Each time, it appears that new wires were simply added instead of using what was already in there. It was a mess. Now, it is MUCH cleaner and neater.

Since this is Wednesday before the long 4th of July holiday, there won't be much going on. I am starting the day by meeting with the Prescott tech folks to look over a classroom in which one of our early childhood programs will occupy. We're going to look at network drops, Smart Board placement, etc. After that, I'll be headed to the office.

There is no telling what I will learn today!

No comments:

Post a Comment