Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 5th, 2012

Spending much of the day working on email and phone support. Also working on the grant evaluation for my position. I am presently reworking a TIE module as well. Met with the Director regarding a weird heating/hvac issue and regarding a new pricing plan for our cellular phones. Did some troubleshooting regarding the fax machine in the main office, and helped with various small tech 'fires' in general - iTunes, burning video to DVD.

The 2nd half of the day still awaits!

I had a user with a file that had a WPD extension. Normally, this would be a WordPerfect file that could easily be opened in Microsoft Office or Open Office or a myriad of other programs. Nothing worked. Instead, all we got was jibberish. I even tried zamzar.com to convert it to Word, and that produced garbage.

After searching the net, I found a program called "Wintext!" Wintext will take ANY file and extract any viable text from it. With that program, I was able to pull out the text the user needed.

The file can be had from here:
http://www.softoxi.com/download-wintext.html

No comments:

Post a Comment