Friday, January 13, 2012

Definitely Friday the 13th

Started the day by working on iPad 1st generation units.  The original plan was to hook up all of them (about 10 units) to a Mac and reset them all then update them all - in one fell swoop.  Turns out the 18-port USB hub (yes, powered) does *NOT* charge iPads. I was pretty sure I checked that specifically when I ordered the thing. I will need to revisit that.

So... I get to do one at a time.  Why not 3 or 4? Well, the computer would not let me restore more than one at a time. Maybe this is normal, and multi-syncing is just that - syncing, not restoration. I dunno, and it doesn't matter now.

After the 1st Gen iPads were done, I visited with our Early Childhood Coordinator about volume purchasing a particular app.  So far, that app is not in the volume buy program. I have contacted the authors to see if they will put it in there.  Not sure how that would work, since all purchases are in-app only. Guess we'll see.

The same person also had an issue with her ZAGG Logitech Keyboard for her iPad 2 - it would randomly start repeating characters infinitely - or until you pressed a different key long enough for things to stop repeating.

Turns out, that is a know/common issue with these, as seen on the various forums I visited trying to find a solution.  I called ZAGG and since we bought them from CDWG, we had to use an alternate registration method.  Here's the kicker: the Logitech Keyboard is *NOT* in their list!  I chose what I *thought* was the keyboard - instead, that turned out to be a protective shield. PROBLEM!

Well, we powered off the keyboard, forgot the connection, powered off the iPad 2, and waited for a minute or so.  Then, we powered up the iPad 2 and made sure it would work sans any bluetooth keyboard. Yes.  Then, powered up the keyboard and established a connection.  Worked.  Tried to replicate the problem.  No go.  That's a good thing!  The keyboard was no longer acting all wonky and possessed.  We'll keep an eye on it for a week, then see where we need to go, if anywhere.

And all of this happened before lunch!

What does the afternoon hold?  Who knows - guess we'll find out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment