Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday and Tuesday

Monday, I spent the morning teaching Principals and Instructional Facilitators how to use their new 4th Gen iPod Touches.  They all had or created accounts and downloaded a couple free apps.  We also played with the cameras, then they were turned over to the other presenters for Classroom Walk Through training (Teachscape).

The rest of Monday was spent catching up on things left since I had taken off the entire previous week.


Tuesday, I worked at Bradley schools.  We had several things to take care of.

First, here is a repost of an article I wrote for TechBlog:

Inadvertent Email Rules
Came across a user that was receiving intermittent emails.  Some messages would come through and others would be directed to her "Junk Mail" folder.
 
The first place I looked (In Exchange) was under "Junk Mail Settings" and I looked through her Blocked Senders list.  The only one out of the ordinary was her own email address.  I removed that from the blocked list.
 
The next place I looked was her rules.  She had several set up to direct certain messages to junk, and for the most part, these were correct.  However, there was one rule that said "Any mail sent only to me, move to the Junk Mail folder."  There was the culprit (or one, anyway).  That rule essenatially said that if anyone sent a message to her and ONLY her, it was to be tossed aside.  Since many of the messages had been sent to multiple people, she would receive those.  Direct, one-to-one communications, however, did not make it to her inbox.
 
I deleted the errant rule.  I scrolled through the other rules, and found one more that might have been causing trouble, though the exact nature escapes me now.
 
When a user says that legitimate email is going to SPAM, JUNK, DELETED ITEMS, that is a good sign that the use has a rule being enforced that he/she did not actually want happening.  A little sluething, though, and hopefully you will uncover the bullying rule (and then delete that rule!).
 
After that, the Superintendent asked me to provide testing for their Continuity of Operations Plan.  As it turns out, the tech and I had done an 'inadvertent' test last May, in which we realized the backup we were doing was corrupt.  We had a failing test, monitored the situation and adjusted.
So, today, I ran a "loss of data" test, and the backup data was restored perfectly! Excellent!

Next on the list, I ran the Data Doctor on the locally installed Accelerated Reader program in order to prep the data for the move to the cloud.  The district is moving their AR to the online version.  One less thing to manage and worry about.  We hit a couple snags, but eventually zipped up the data and uploaded it to their site.  Now, we just wait for the good word.

While uploading the data, the tech and I took some RAM over to the business lab in order to install it in a couple of computers that gone awry.

The last item on the agenda was to download and install Vexira antivirus.  They have a very cool central management system and once we figured out what we needed to do in order to get things rolling, it was actually FUN to watch the software getting pushed out to the workstations on the network.

No comments:

Post a Comment