Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thursday

Busy day so far today. It is roughly 10:00 am, and I've had two conference calls and a CIV test. I met with the Early Childhood Coordinator regarding the installation of cameras and Skype for her teachers. The plan is to use Skype for parent meetings in order to avoid the driving from our main office to the school sites when face-to-face is not necessarily imperative. It looks VERY promising! I also made the appropriate modifications to the bosses' bookcases in order to hook up their LCD TVs. Once the TVs were hooked up, I fielded a call from Blevins regarding a non-deleting icon. That was an interesting adventure.

Evidently, the user dragged a message from Groupwise onto the desktop, thinking it wuold save a copy of the message. Instead, it created a .GWI file that would do nothing. When the user tried to delete it, it wuld not delete and instead get caught in an infinite "deleting" loop.

After a bit of research, and trial and error, I came across a post about a program I had forgotten about: Unlocker. Unlocker is a great tool that will show you what process(es) are holding the selected file(s) and then give you options to rename, remove, etc. You can find it here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Once Unlocker was installed, we selected "Delete" from the drop-down and then played it safe with the least intrusive option (I cannot recall the exact wording). Ultimately, though, they got the same inifinte loop until they clicked the "Kill Process" button. As soon as they did, the icon disappeared and the process stopped! Excellent!

I had used unlocker before, though I cannot remember what the circumstance was. Now, I've used it twice with great success!

Let's see what the rest of the day holds.

Talked with the local cable company regarding pricing and installation. They will send a letter of proposal and we can decide from there whether or not we want the service.

I am also looking into using a dish-based service.

Received a call from Prescott's early childhood program - her main computer died. It seems all of these out-of-warranty Dells that the ECH programs have are dying lately. Not good! I'll be heading there Friday to swap out computers.

Fielded calls from Blevins regarding USB issues on several computers and regarding sites blocked by the state content filtering system.

Took care of general office duties as usual.

Near the end of the day, I decided to try and set up the security camera system for email notifications (that is, notify me when an 'event' happens).  Still working on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment