Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Starting a New Year

This is the first post of my new work year. Hopefully, keeping up with my daily activities will go better this fiscal year than last.

We were out Monday for the 4th of July holiday.

Tuesday (up to 11:35am) - Swapped out core switches in upstairs closet. Downstairs closet will be completed once I receive the missing rack mounts from the manufacturer. After that, I began work on a laptop that has Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I tried to update to KMS code we have for the co-op. That did not work at all.

I purchased a Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade from Microsoft. The license number works, but the upgrade itself failed several times with no helpful error at all (just says failed). I decided to download/install any outstanding updates to see if that has any bearing on the update at all. once of the updates is Win7SP1, and I have a feeling that might be a prerequisite for the upgrade. Who knows.

During this, I have been talking with our early childhood director about moving a smart board from one school location to another district.

12:15pm - Update on Win7 Upgrade: The Service Pack 1 install seems to have done the trick. Following the SP1 install, I tried the Anytime Upgrade and it eventually siad, "downloading 2 updates" which it had never said before failing before this. After all that was said and done, the machine rebooted a couple times as it installed/updated various files, etc. After that, though, Windows 7 welcomed me with the "Windows 7 Professional" script at the bottom of the logon screen! Tip: Make sure you are at Win7 SP1 before trying to Upgrade!

I met with a couple techs from Prescott for lunch. After lunch, I spent the afternoon running COMBOFIX on every computer in the distance learning lab and in the APSCN lab.  Some machines had infections, most did not.

I am still having a VERY frustrating issue with my network jumping from 3Mbps down to 28k then back up again.  So far, I can't find any rhyme or reason for it, but according to DIS, the problem is local.  I'm not sure that's true. I cannot help but think this is a telco connectivity issue. Until I can prove it, though, I have to keep plugging away.

No comments:

Post a Comment