Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6, 2011

Started the morning by installing the new switches in the first floor closet.  Once they were done, I started playing with VLAN configuration.  It did not go well.  Off and on throughout the day, I played with various settings, eventually spending more than an hour on the phone with SMC and about 30-45 minutes on the phone with DIS.  At 5:15pm, though, it was up and running!  Turns out to be a multi-step process not readily explained in the help guides.  Ultimately, though, it boils down to to creating the VLAN number you want, assigning the proper ports, then going into an additional setting and assigning the port(s) to the specific VLAN you want those ports to use.  Frankly, that seemed like doing double duty since I had to already assign a port to the VLAN, but whatever.

Now, we can connect a videoconferencing unit to ANY network jack in the building and with a few clicks, have it on the state video network.  Previously, I had to go to the closet, move patch cables around for the duration of the conference then move them back when it was over.  Now, I can do it from any machine on our network. Sweet!

When I wasn't trying to figure out the VLAN, I finished installing software on a new employee's laptop and cleaned another employee's computer from a major infection.  Thanks to Combofix, though, I believe it has been wiped off the machine.  I also ordered some new equipment for various employees (and a voicemail upgrade to replace the dying one we currently have).  We've got a lot of Act 1747 (etc) stuff that needed updating, so I made several changes to a couple of the sites we host from SWAEC.

Those are the big-ticket items I can recall right now.  Of course, as always, there was answering tech support calls, answering emails, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment