Friday, July 8, 2011

July 7, 2011

Aside from helping to get a couple workshops off the ground and locking the digital thermostats, I spent the entire day cleaning up and cleaning out the tech closet attached to my office.

Just more than a year ago, we packed up everything from the old building and moved it to our new facility.  Among the packed items: lots and lots (at least a dozen if my memory serves) of boxes with random "stuff" in them.  Some of the boxes had cabling (network, RG6, Composite, Component, unknowns, etc) while several had software piled in them: some in boxes, some on spindles, most just tossed in loosely.  I went through each box and if I did not recognize the software (i.e. it was unlabeled), I put it in the computer to see what it was - was it worth keeping, in other words.  I threw away all kinds of junk and duplicate copies of various restore discs - seriously, do we need 30 copies of Dell 755 system recovery discs!?  I threw out software from 1996. Seriously? Why keep this stuff?  I chunked anything that no longer applied to the hardware we own or the software we use - recovery discs from computers we no longer have, etc.  It's amazing what we keep in the name of "We may need that one day" or, even worse, "do you know what we paid for that!? In 1994!?"  Nope, and I don't care.  If we're not using it, it found its way to the circular file (or the literal recycle bin for some things).

During the day, I also met with Lindy and Phoebe regarding different projects, discussions, etc.  For the most part, though, I spent the bulk of my 10-hour day cleaning and organizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment