Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mondays are... Mondays

Spent Monday morning working on various issues at the co-op.  I created an installation checklist for the CIV systems that some of my area schools are receiving through an RUS grant.  Turns out, much of the information I had was incorrect. Lovely.

I had to then battle a firewall issue in which Blackboard chatting is being blocked at the co-op.  I have yet to figure out just which rule is preventing the chat. Even disabling most of the rules has not cured the problem.  Frankly, after the bottlenecks and other issues, I think it's getting close to time to ditch ISA 2006 for good.  The main issue is that it routes the 6 or so web sites we run through one IP.  I prefer it that way so that we keep our servers out of the public hacking eye (er, mostly).  In any case, it is time to research something else.

I spent the afternoon at Bradley, helping them work on a few issues before their new video system arrived.  Once it did, we unboxed it.  We waited for the installer to get there, but it was now 2:30 or so, and we decided to put the thing together ourselves.  I had to leave just after three to pick up my daughter, so I left the folks working on it.  The installer came just before three.  I got a call later that night that the system would not register nor connect to the state video network.  I will be going back to Bradley within the next day or so to get it working.

I ran back to the co-op for a quick stop after Bradley on my way to pick up my daughter from church.  I had a switch at the office I wanted to take home to troubleshoot.  Turns out, the switch just needs to be "decommissioned." It's loud (fans), has bad ports (at least one set of four) and it keeps rebooting itself.  At least now I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment