Monday, May 9, 2011

Well, THAT didn't work.

So much for a dialy reminder to post. So, let's play some catch-up.

I spent much of the last few weeks moving our email, calendars, and contacts from Exchange to Google Apps. I plan to detail our move in a "gray paper." What's that? Well, a White paper is usually a how-to on the methods of doing something correctly. I made a lot of mistakes and ran into more than a fair share of obstacles in our move to GA, so it won't be a sparkling white paper. Instead, it'll be a bit gray.

We also finally received our new server from Dell. I plan to start setting it up this week.

Other events as of late include a state tech coordinator meeting at the new building for the south central co-op in camden.

I also held a training last week for staff covering iPads and our new Google Apps system. The training went VERY well - lots of discussion and learning!

On April 27, two techs from Prescott and a tech from Fouke and I all went to Dallas for a condensed MacTech training. While it turned out to be focused on private businesses, we still learned a lot of things that translate to the education field. Once of the topics included documenting everything we do so that we can justify to our clients the reasons for charges, fees, etc. That hit home. I am charged with keeping a log of the things I do so that my "clients" (or in this case, those in charge of the funding for my position) can see that my budget is worth saving/having. Basically, it is a record that should show I am way underpaid for all the things I do day-in and day-out, not to mention the other projects that come up at a moment's notice.

It was because of that one session alone that I begin this week with a renewed focus on proving my worth. I am not sure this blog will be the best format for that, though. I want something that will keep everything organized by date and allow quick entries, rather than verbose explanations.

I'll just have to see how this goes. of course, blogger has features that allow for such organization, I believe. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment